Linocut print – Transition
This is a limited edition, original reduction style linocut print, hand-carved and printed by hand by the artist in County Sligo, Ireland.
- Reduction style linocut
- Limited edition of 9 only
- Ink: water based; three non-stock, hand-mixed colours
- Paper: 300 gram, 100% cotton rag watercolour paper
- Image size: 7.5 x 12 cm (approx. 2.9 x 4.7 inches)
- Paper size: 23 x 30.5 cm (approx. 9 x 12 inches)
- The print is titled and signed in pencil
- Certificate of authenticity provided
Ships worldwide from Sligo, Ireland.
The print will be wrapped in acid-free tissue paper and sent with a backing board in a sturdy cardboard envelope.
Using the reduction method, the design is printed in stages. For each colour or ‘plate’, the design is drawn onto the block, the block is carved and the colour is printed. At each stage, the colour to be retained on the final print is carved away from the block with subsequent colours being over-printed onto the last. The process is repeated until the final plate has been printed and the block has been ‘reduced’ to the the final plate. The block can then be destroyed or marked to show the end of the edition.
The transition from one season to the next can be so subtle that before you realise you’ve already crossed the threshold – the wooly hats are on and you’re breathing steam. The dandelion clock ticks away these soft days nodding knowingly at the gradual shift of light. Winter is coming.